This blog explores the act of walking and its ancient connection to philosophical thought. It will reflect on the process of Walking Piece, a project where 50 people will come together in South London to create a performance around the everyday movement.

More widely, these findings from the blog will also attempt to answer questions surrounding the impact of the Arts on those involved and those who are not, looking particularly at participatory dance.

Watch this space for interviews, photos, articles and other materials that we find in our wanderings.

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Rosemary Lee - Part 3: Have there been any moments of revelation for you in your career?


The piece I always come back to, is when I was asked to make a work in Barking and Dagenham which, I had assumptions about. I thought it was a working class area which probably had a history of racism, I knew there was a trial coming up there for someone who’d had racist treatment. I knew it was also somewhere where the women of Dagenham factory had made a stand, early in the feminist movement. So there was a history of working people, but really struggling I think.

I came and found what else they were struggling with. I was very worried about me as a middle class, white woman coming in and making a work for that community and then buggering off. It didn’t feel right.
I thought, if I’m going to make a public work of art, what can I make which is going to give something to the people, which isn’t just plonked on them, that isn’t just seen as an eye-sore and waste of public money. I also didn’t want to make a live work, I felt it was too risky, too fleeting somehow. So I looked for a space that could house something for an installation that was free.

 So I made a piece with Nic Sandiland. Something that was built for the central library in Dagenham. It wasn’t as widely used as the shopping street but I draw the line at commerce. I won’t make work where people are going shopping! So that was the closest I could get to a public space. I was really pleased with what we made. I felt I was going onto unchartered territory, so I wanted to work with children because I know I can relate to children of a certain age 8-10year olds, wherever they’re from. I worked for a year in a very forgotten little school. They’d never had artists in. They had a huge asylum seeker population. That was really interesting to work with young children who were trying to get a grip on where they lived, where home was. I found it really sad and upsetting, but also really amazing because the kids were just incredibly resilient to find their way. But dance for them, I felt, did bridge the language gap found a primary school. There were kids in the class who were really struggling, but weren’t doing so after the project. It re-affirmed my beliefs that imagination, and drawing on children’s imagination into their own bodies, to actually transform themselves in their bodies is very empowering. Which is probably why sport is so good for kids in those kinds of areas. I saw these boys transformed when I told them they were ‘weathergods’  - they could bring the rain in or stop the sun shining just with very slow gestures of the arms. A few of the boys, who really didn’t speak much English, really did look like gods, and they knew it. There was something about empowering them in a different way to fighting and aggression. Interestingly aswell, their favourite bit was the relaxation. I would put this music on and a lot of them would fall asleep! So that was a revelation for me. When they taste this more gentle approach they like it.

 It doesn’t work so well now, kids are even more difficult to teach – that’s another thing I’ve really noticed. Their energy is really different. I taught in a school in Hammersmith and thinking I’m going to have to stop because all I can do is shout and I know that’s not what I want to do. They were literally climbing the walls. I’m quite experienced but there was something I was up against which felt impossible, it was really depressing.

Square Dances too were a revelation for me because there were certain things I hadn’t known would happen. I was confident that the pieces would work. What I didn’t expect was that the audience would become communities in themselves, in particular the women’s piece made them feel like you. A flock of people. I saw them walking the streets together, talking, one of my friends made a friend on a bench and they travelled around the rest of the pieces together – like youth hosteling! Maybe something about a journey which they wanted to share. I had not thought of what it might be like to be one of the community of watchers. That was a lovely thing to discover, that they were glad to have the time to walk the streets together and find these pieces. I’m trying to find a way in which the audience feel really safe and therefore open up a bit more. I’m trying to make sure they don’t feel excluded from the dance. Make sure they know it’s for them – that’s very important to me actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment