This blog explores the act of walking and its ancient connection to philosophical thought. It will reflect on the process of Walking Piece, a project where 50 people will come together in South London to create a performance around the everyday movement.

More widely, these findings from the blog will also attempt to answer questions surrounding the impact of the Arts on those involved and those who are not, looking particularly at participatory dance.

Watch this space for interviews, photos, articles and other materials that we find in our wanderings.

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Rosemary Lee, Part 2 of 3. Q. Who do you make work for?


A.

My response could be my audience or could be my participants. Like I said for the Square Dances, I wanted to make it for the women, give them a sort of gift. Though I feel like that piece is a gift for the women as much as it is a gift for those who see it. I would say the same for Common Dance – I am trying to give something to the participants which I think is a little bit different to when you work professionally, although I try to do that for any dancer I work with, professional or not. But you could argue there are some subtle differences there. It is about the kind of experience you want to give them, I really believe that. Having been a dancer myself and dancing for someone like Sue MacClennan, it is such a gift to be in someone else’s piece, to interpret that work, to discover it and to find a way to let that work come through you. I loved that opportunity, so I try to give all the dancers I work with and chance to find themselves in the work but to also find the work in them.

Equally, for the audience… I think it would be naive of me to say it’s for ‘everyone’. It is for anyone who finds it. Which is why when I work outside or for films on BBC I have no idea who turned the telly on then and caught it! I like that side of it. Having said that, there are audience I wouldn’t go out and make work for because I don’t feel I would get through in the same way. I don’t think my work is perfect for a teenage audience in a very deprived area. I don’t know whether I can speak to them, I think I’m too far removed. Having said that I’d love it if they were in the audience!

Who’s it for? It’s a very good question. It sort of depends on each commission, so Square Dances felt very much like it was for Londoners, for people who’d made the journey. I wanted to give them something in the heart of London. Something like The Suchness of Eddy and Henny I knew was going to go to more dance festivals, so I knew I was going to be playing to dance audiences in a sense. So that was made with that thought. I’ve got to make a work of art, as to whether people are trained or not. I don’t know whether I’ve quite answered that! Good question.

No comments:

Post a Comment